Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Kuwaiti Driving

Hello again, and welcome to Sarah Neff's great blogger:)  This has been a long couple of weeks when it comes to teaching.  I fell down 7 stairs at school last week.  I hurt part of my wrist, it is not completely healed yet.  I can sympathize with mom some now with her thumb, because something small can hurt and not seem to get better when you think it should.

I was also in a bit of a fender bender, thing.  Praise God no one was hurt.  Driving in Kuwait is crazy.  If you think you have seen crazy, then Kuwait will still shock you.  Everyone is in a hurry to get no where.  It is all a big giant game of chicken.  It is very selfish driving.  I will have to try and get a video sometime of me in the car (a video in traffic and a video on the highway).  Both would be shocking.  The speed is excessive for some because if you are a Kuwait citizen nothing happens if you get a ticket.  So, I have never seen so many fatal accidents in my life.  I may have seen a dead body on an ambulance the other day, but I am not sure, either way I can't get the image out of my head. 

So, back to the fender bender thing.  I was in a taxi going to the US Embassy to vote.  We were in the left lane, which happened to be the fourth lane.  This other taxi came off the exit and went diagonal across all four lanes and right in front of us and we were going about 65 mph.  So, my taxi driver slams on the brakes, but still collision. It was weird watching it from the passenger seat.  There was no way around the accident so I braced my hand against the dash, but praise God I had my seat belt on, because most taxis do not have seat belts.  So, both cars banged up a little, but Jesus kept us all safe.  Sorry saying God now is weird because when you hear it in Kuwait, you know they mean Allah, and I definitely do not. 

No comments:

Post a Comment