Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Night at the British Embassy Orchestra

I had the best night in Kuwait thus far since I have been here last Thursday.  I went to the British Embassy for an orchestra concert.  (You would think I would do stuff at the US Embassy, but you have to know someone and be invited in order to come.  So, I'm not in the in crowd yet...)

I learned a valuable lesson do not bring cameras or cell phones to the British Embassy, they do not let you in if you have them.  Well, I knew not to bring my cell phone, but I did bring my camera, so you have to leave it in your car.  Problem, I took a taxi, and my friend also had a camera who was with me.  So, the guards said there was no where to put the cell phones safely.  But they were going to ask a manager, while I was waiting for the manager they said I could sit, and when I sat I saw a corner of the room with slots for cell phones and cameras, and there were some in there.  So, long story short after about a half hour of waiting they put our cameras in the slots and we could go in.  Praise the Lord.

The orchestra was amazing.  There was also a choir behind them that sang some also.  A lady in the orchestra is writing a musical and they sang two songs from it, and the songs were great.  So, I hope to go see the musical in May.

After the orchestra finished there was drinking and a DJ and dancing.  It was very fun.  Since Kuwait is a "dry" country (if that's what you call it), people were excited to not have homemade alcohol.  There was a 3 drink limit, kind of.  Still, the dancing was fun, and it was an overall great evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment